Braves Dugout: Blogging on the Atlanta Braves
and the world of Major League Baseball

Tuesday, September 12, 2006

The end of a reign

By the end of the week the Mets should have clinched the division unless they have a severe meltdown. Regardless, the Braves are just 1 game away from eliminating themselves from any divisional title hope. Well all good things must come to end, right? To me personally, I can't recall the Braves not winning the division. I know the year was 1990, but can't remember how I felt about it. Then again, at that time I was a little squirt who probably cared more about climbing trees and playing Nintendo. In these last 14 years the Braves have given me many memories in my life that I've had the pleasure of watching and experiencing at both the Ted and Fulton County. I've seen the bandwagon fans come go, which most of them are now either Yankee or Red Sox fans. There are so many things I could point out as my favorite Brave moments over the last fourteen years. I'm sure I'll be missing some other moments but, here's a few that stick out.

5. Titled as "the catch". This was Otis Nixon's clame to fame. Nixon robbed a definite home run by Pirates slugger Andy Van Slyke. This was one amazing catch that has stood in my mind as a pivotal Braves moment. The catch allowed the Braves winning streak of 12 games to continue and later helped take over the NL West from the Reds in '92.

4. The signing of Greg Maddux. Without Maddux the Braves might not have had the streak as long as they did. Atlanta picked up a pitcher that not only was reaching his prime but would become one of the premiere pitchers in baseball. What were the Cubs thinking?

3. The Jones Bros. Chipper Jones and Andruw Jones have been huge pieces during the run. Without them the Braves wouldn't have made it. We've seen both players develop from top prospects to major league stars.

2. Francisco Cabrera & Sid Bream. Cabrera's hit and Sid racing to home. One of the top classic moments in Braves history. I can never get tired of that play.

1. What else, the 1995 World Series. Atlanta finnally won baseball's most prestigous award. The Braves had been there two times already and was beaten by last minute heroics, Leibrandt, base running blunders, whatever you want to call it. For once, the 1995 season belonged to the Braves.

1 Comments:

  • My personal favorite moment: Game Six of the NLCS, Veterans Stadium, 10/13/1993. (Sorry, had to get that in there)

    In all honesty, my favorite all-time Brave (if I had to choose) has to be Ron Gant. I know he was only a part of the beginning of the Braves run of excellence, but the memory of the 3-4-5 combo of Gant-McGriff-Justice is forever etched in my mind as a classic Braves memory.

    By Blogger XXX, at 6:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home